Absolute Beginners from the 2011 course with the Mayor before the start of the Alice Holt 5K race in 2011
Farnham Runners are a very social group of people encompassing a wide range of running abilities and ages. We will enjoy the fitness and fun that running gives us and each year we run our Absolute Beginners course to help to introduce others to running and to our club.
The course is for anyone who wants to take up running but never quite had the fitness, confidence or motivation to do it, it’s really not for those who can already run 5k. It caters for everyone from the “absolute beginners to running” to the “rusty/unfit returners to running”.
We start with warm ups and short jog/walking sessions then gradually, over the 10 weeks, build up to running a full 5k and hopefully along the journey instil the running bug in our Absolute Beginners. Then why not enter our Club Championship 5k run and BBQ held in June.
For the past 7 years many of our Absolute Beginners have gone on to run far greater distances (marathons and beyond!), met new friends and become regular and valued members of our warm and welcoming running club.
About the course
- Our qualified leaders guide, advise, help and encourage you through the course.
- Attendees meet up on Monday evenings, 6:45pm, at our clubhouse on the Bourne Green and on Wednesday evenings, 7:00pm, at the same location.
- Monday nights are an extra night just for beginners. Wednesdays are normal running club nights.
- The evenings are designed to be friendly, inclusive and encouraging so no matter what your ability all are very welcome.
- During the course, you should ideally run 3 times a week, Mondays, Wednesdays and a “homework” session of your choice.
- Each course is for a maximum of 20 people so please sign up as soon as you can if you are interested.
- 2017 course fee is £45 which includes the cost of the course, annual membership to Farnham Runners and affiliation to England Athletics. Discounts for O.A.P's and students between 16-22.
The course usually runs from mid April for 10 weeks. We have a non-running introductory session before the course starts at our club house where we discuss the content of the course: Wednesday 12th April 2017
Sessions are then held every Monday 6.45pm and Wednesday 6.45pm, including the Bank Holidays.
Contact Helen Bracey (07868 616374) if you would like further information.
Further courses and training information
- Our usual training sessions - open to club members only